Saturday, May 19, 2012

You never know what tomorrow might bring...


If you had asked me the day my Dad died if I would run in his memory, I would have thought you were crazy.  It wasn’t until Comfort Zone sent out an email in 2010, stating that they were forming a Grief Relief Team that was going to Run Disney.  That is where my running journey began, and I know my Dad would be so proud of where I am today!
As I ran a 5K today for the Abington Police Department, the department my father was employed by before he died, I reflected.  When I woke up this morning I proudly dawned my CZC Grief Relief Tech Shirt.  I put this shirt on proudly for multiple reasons, the first being the cause I represent when I put this shirt on my body, Comfort Zone Camp.  Comfort Zone Camp has not only changed my life, but my families lives in more ways than I can name, and has introduced me to some of the most remarkable people I will ever meet, that will be lifelong friends!  The second reason is what is on the back of my shirt “Honoring the Memory of My Dad, TFO 20”.  I think this speaks for itself, especially for those of you who knew my Dad.  As I ran today I thought to myself, who the hell am I and what am I doing?  All of those who know me, know that I am not a runner but because of Comfort Zone Camp and the loss of my father, I have mustered all my inner strength to run a marathon, a half marathon and multiple 5K’s in honor of my Dad.  As a group of State Police Officers from the academy ran by sounding off this morning, memories of my Dad came flashing back.  The work these guys were doing was the same tough work & sacrifice my Dad did in order to become a police officer and fulfill his lifelong dream even if it was only for a few short years before the cancer took the best of him.  At this point in time I knew my Dad is still here, running right there beside me & each of those guys that are pursuing their dreams to become police officers.  He is the angel wings that carry me when it gets tough, and the #1 reason why I will keep running in loving memory of him.  My Dad is my hope, my strength, my inspiration, if all of us could live one day in our lives as he lived each day of his life we would all be in a better place.  For those of you who didn’t know my Dad, just live each day to its fullest, as you never know what tomorrow may bring. 

1 comment:

  1. Laura,
    This is an incredible site. Your Dad would of and is so proud of you. It was an honor to know and care for your Dad. He truely was an inspiration. In fact, we were just talking about him today. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him. I still carry his prayer card with me. It was always in my desk but since we moved over to the new building it has been in my pocketbook. Thank you so much for sharing this site.

    Love, Ginny

    ReplyDelete